Mirian Law Blog

Personal Injury Law | Immigration Law | Real Estate Law

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Visas for NAFTA Professionals: the TN Professional Visa for the U.S.

Posted by on in Mirian Law
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2691
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

In 1994, the nations of the USA, Canada, and Mexico implemented an agreement called the North America Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA for short. This created one of the world’s largest free trade zones, and paved the way for strong economic growth and prosperity for all three nations. In order to facilitate the movement of qualified professionals within the territory of the free trade zone, a TN professional visa was created for immigration to the USA. This is available for citizens of Canada and Mexico only.

What is the visa?

This visa is for qualified professionals from Mexico or Canada that want to work in a professional occupation in the USA. In order to qualify for this visa you need to meet several criteria:

·         The profession must be recognized by NAFTA

·         You must go to work for a U.S employer

·         You must fit all of the specific criteria for the position

With this visa you will be able to work in that position legally in the United States, and help to increase the economic productivity of the nation.

Obtaining the visa

In order to qualify for this visa, as a citizen of Canada you must request TN status at the U.S Port of Entry. You must bring documentation, and provide proof of your qualifications and employment records. On top of that, you must provide a letter from the prospective US employer and pay a fee of $50. It is important to note that you won’t obtain a visa, but instead receive TN status with U.S Customs and Border Protection. Extensions of the visa can be done by your employer at the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, or by returning to Canada to re-apply at the port of entry with the same documents as the first time.

What else is important?

It is important to note that if you are married or have children, your spouse and children are eligible for a visa to stay with you, but not eligible to seek employment.

NAFTA was implemented in order to foster economic growth and prosperity. By giving qualified professionals more freedom of movement with simplified visa programs, it allows workers to find gainful employment and companies to find the people they need. If you have the qualifications, then let Mirian Law help you through the difficult visa process.





  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Thursday, 19 July 2018

Personal Injury Lawyer Toronto

Get the compensation you deserve. Contact our personal injury lawyers by phone or email today for a no-cost assessment. One of our associates will get in in touch with you.

Read More

U.S. Immigration Attorney

Let us help you live the American Dream. When applying for temporary or permanent status in the United States there are many paths from which to choose.

Read More

Canadian Immigration Lawyer

Canada is the world’s most multicultural society and has a policy of welcoming proportionally more international citizens than any other country worldwide.

Read More